Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I'll have a little dose of reality with a few tears on the side...

After about 7 phone calls this morning, I was informed that indeed the hospital had received my blood work results so my 10am appt was a go! Went to admitting, got a shiny new hospital card and confirmed that Jeff would make any medical decisions if I was unable to and went to the childbirth center.

Whoa. There were seriously pregnant women there, walking around (trying to induce labour?), husbands on their cell phones calling parents saying "Trish is in labour now, her water broke at 4am...", babies being wheeled around in the clear plastic basinettes all swaddled with their pink or blue bonnets on with their little noses and hands near their faces, a few babies crying, new moms walking in the hallway (this helped to mentally make a list of items to pack in my hospital bag), and the best was a proud new daddy sitting with us in the waiting room cradling his new daughter, Sara-Anne. After about 10 minutes, he slowly got up and put his precious new baby in the basinette ever so carefully. He even made a "I hope I'm doing this right" face as he did it, and then smiled at us (I said congrats, she's beautiful) and walked back to see the new mom. I looked at Jeff, and god bless his heart his eyes were all red and welled up.

We just sat there, in awe, thinking that in another few months, this would be us. I wasn't scared, I was excited, I wasn't thinking oh no, I was thinking yipeee. And after seeing the new dad make the "I hope I'm doing this right face" just reassured me that no new parent knows what they are doing. We all have little bits of info, suggestions, advice, maybe first hand experience. But really when it's YOURS, it's all different. It's your first, so no matter what your experience or knowledge you are really starting out on your own.....

Then, we went and met with a nurse, gave her some more details (they asked for the name of the baby-to-be's pediatrician, something I've never thought about...?) gave only Jeff's name to be allowed in the delivery room (no one else needs to be there, this is special for my husband and I), got a needle in my butt and that was it.

We signed up for a tour of the hospital on November 11th, I can't wait!

3 comments:

Miss Gogo said...

Oh my gosh. I reacted the same way when I was at the hospital when I was pregnant. It is so exciting!
I too said only Fraser could be there even though my mother in law kept informing me that she wanted to be in the delivery room!

I truly feel that in the first couple of minutes when you become a family, no one else needs to be there.....but then again, some people do want their friends or relatives!

Miss Gogo said...

Oh and for not knowing what the HELL your doing as a new parent, it's so true. But at the same time, Fraser and I were both more comfortable with Ava as a newborn rather than our niece when she was a newborn. We were way more afraid holding her!

As for a pediatrician, I just gave them my family doctors name and then he ended up referring me to a ped. afer Ava was born anyway.

Christy said...

OOhhh thanks!

Yeah, I think it's such a special time that I want it to be just the 3 of us, at least for a few minutes - until all h3ll breaks loose :)

I can imagine being more comfortable when it's your own rather than with your neice/nephew or friend's children. But on the same note that's just as scary, cause its' YOURS and you can't pass it off :)


PLUS, then I will have people like you, experienced moms who I can ask for advice :)