Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hospital stay...

As we all know, we had our hospital tour last weekend. My medical plan through work pays for a private room (so we are crossing our fingers that one is available, but we'll just have to wait and see how many babies decide to come that day!). The hospital tour lady was talking about the husband staying overnight. There is no cot, they can sleep on the chair (this completely uncomfortable chair) and I think they have two recliners (which most likely will not be available) so they advise dads to bring their sleeping bags and sleep on the floor.

Now, I just think it makes sense to send Jeff home for the night. My husband is not a great sleeper, I know there's NO way he'd fall asleep there. I will need him to be not as sleep deprived as me when we come home, so I want him to go home and get a good night's sleep.

I know we are in this together but he can get his sleepless nights and help me during the night once I get home, I have the nurses to help me and I'll be just fine. I can't understand wanting to put my husband through the hell of sleeping on a hospital floor when he could go home and sleep in bed.

Enough of that. Going to my compensatory advisor this morning to get all the forms signed and my leave of absence stuff done - 4 more days of work to go (I can't believe how much I have to get done in the next 4 days)

7 comments:

Miss Gogo said...

Yeah, my hubby went home too. I really wished he could sleep there with me but he already had 2 night on the reclining chair while we were in Labour & Delivery. Plus Christy, the nurses are so awesome. It's so much better to have an awesome nurse there than a hubby who is just as clueless as you are!!! ;o) And I hope you get your private room. I had no coverage and lucked out with a semi instead of ward but next time I am going to PAY for the private....

Christy said...

I just figure there is no point in us both being up all night, and I'll need at least one of us to be awake enough to drive home safely the next day! I've heard the nurses are wonderful, I can absorb all the information and share it with Jeff when I get home. He wants to spend all his waking hours with me and our new little one, but for actual sleep time I think he's better off at home!

I think the tour lady said there were ten private rooms so I just have to beat everyone else there :)

Christy said...

Were you at the Civic or the Queensway Carleton Christine?

Marathon Someday said...

I agree - send hubby home. I'm probably going to do the same thing, depending on my emotional state.:-) We literally live TWO minutes from the hospital (it's a 10 minute walk, 2 minute drive), so hubby can go home to shower and get some shut-eye.

My challenge will be trying to convince him to go!

Marathon Someday said...

And thanks for reminding me to check my own benefits coverage for private rooms! I don't have coverage, unfortunately (just for semi-private), but I think we're going to shell out for the difference.

And that's lovely of your co-workers to throw you a little shower!!! Can't believe you only have 4 days left - and then, we're definitely onto the final countdown.

Miss Gogo said...

Christy, I was at the General. I don't know about either of you but at the hospital I was at they wouldn't allow spouses to stay overnight if you weren't in a private room.

Christy said...

I think it has to be a semi-private room in order for the spouse to stay overnight, but I can't exactly remember (Jeff and I were exchanging knowing glances that I didn't want him to stay the night so I wasn't paying full attention)

Hee hee oops!