Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Go Carson!

If I was worried that Carson wasn't getting enough from breastfeeding, those fears have been squashed as I went to a Well Baby Drop-in Clinic today to get the lil gaffer weighed and he's 9 lbs 10oz! Actually, probably a bit less then that, he had always previously been weighed with nothing on and today he had his diaper and his sleeper (I couldn't bear to wake him up to get him naked) so I'd say he's probably around 9 lbs 2oz, but I was just happy to see him over 9 lbs. So that's about 2 lbs he's gained since his birth weight which makes his mommy VERY happy.

The public health nurse comes again on Friday, which is good because just as breastfeeding had gotten much easier and not painful for me, in between feedings I'm throbbing and burning and the latching process is bitterly painful (which it hadn't been before) so I'm worried that I'm getting thrush or even worse, mastitis. I asked the public health nurse about it today but she asked if there were any white spots on me or Carson (in his mouth) but there isn't so maybe it's just in the early stages or maybe it IS a latching issue (but because of the burning in between feedings, I don't think it is).

I DID jinx myself and last night and this morning Carson was fussy. Last night he wouldn't go to sleep as he normally does from about 10 - 1 and he was fussy. I'm going to start keeping a food diary as I'm wondering if it was something I had eaten that made him fussy? He just wouldn't sleep and he would cry and whimper and just had to be held and walked around, which is totally unlike him. Then again this morning for about an hour he just was crying and waving his arms, he just wouldn't or couldn't settle at all. I think he was a bit overtired too, so he's now been sleeping since about 1pm (it's quarter after 3 now) so I'm hoping he's catching up on his sleep.

We are really looking forward for Daddy to come home, we are going to have a yummy BBQ for dinner and our first night home alone in a LONG time - can't wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy and Jeff;

Congratulations on your new addition to your family. He is beautiful. Rob happened to mention to me one day that you had a boy but didn't have much info. I asked him several times to call Jeff to get some pics and info. He came home today with this website address.
Your blog is great. I was searching through it to look at pics and try to figure out when Carson was born but I could not find an entry about his birth. Anyway, I can't believe Jeff has a baby, I can't wait to meet him. If you guys ever feel like a little trip, please come and visit. Next time we are in Ottawa we will have to come for a visit and you can see our big girl now. Time flies quickly. As I look at your baby shots it is hard to believe that Hailee was once that small.
Anyway, I did have thrush of the nipples and Hailee's mouth for a long time. After thinking I got rid of it after a few days on gentian violet (purple stuff that turns your nipples and baby mouth purple) I was sadly mistaken and it came back with a vengence. What finally worked for me was lactobacillus capsules (active ingredient in yogurt) as well as all purpose nipple ointment. You can get the recipe on Dr. Newmans website (just google it) He is a famous breastfeeding guru here in TO. Also Gentian violet. I remember how painful it was and I almost quit BF but you can get over it and keep going. Good luck!!

Love Julie

Christy said...

I can't believe how gorgeus Hailee is - the Xmas picture we were sent is beautiful... she's such a doll!

Thank you for the tips, I'm going to look into that lactobacillus capsules - it doesn't seem to be as painful today but I still think there is something wrong. And, that Dr. Newman site is fantastic, I've just bookmarked it.

We will definitely have to look into a trip down to TO :)