Monday, May 07, 2007

Taking it easy

Carson and I are going to take it easy this week. We're leaving bright and early on Friday morning so the next few days we're going to slowly pack, get well rested, clean the house and spend lots of time outside gardening and getting our back and front yard ready for the summer. The coming weekend is going to be super busy so we are going to relax before it!


Unfortunately, Jeff's chest cold has found it's way to both Carson and I. I don't care much that I'm sick, I can take drugs and deal with it but my heart goes out to Carson. When he coughs he sounds like a seal, it's horrible. It doesn't seem to be bugging him that much, but it kills me. He also has oval shaped red dry patches on his back and now chest. It's just dry skin but it looks a bit weird, the ovals and all. His upper lip and chin are super chapped right now too. Again, he doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but when we put him in the bath last night he started to cry. The water wasn't too hot, it wasn't later than his bedtime and yet he cried (which he NEVER does in the bath) so we were thinking maybe the water was stinging the dry skin? We zipped through his bath and put him to bed (which he cried himself to sleep for a couple of minutes, which again, is abnormal, but I've chalked up to his chest cold).

I've been putting a bit of olive oil on the dry patches. Vaseline on his chin and upper lip. Anyone else have any suggestions for the dry skin? How about the chest cold? I'm trying to call his doctor right now but it's busy. I have the humidifier in his room, I've opened the windows during the day (they say fresh air is good for the cold) and I'm not sure there is much else I can do but I want to talk to the doctor anyways.


This past weekend was super busy, lots of time spent with friends and family and Carson was a trooper through it all. He's so good with people, he'll go to anyone and give out smiles and snuggles all day long. He's so lucky to have all this family surrounding him, with aunts and uncles, grandmas and grandpas and cousins who love him so much. And this coming weekend he's going to meet more family who I'm sure will feel the same way once they meet him.


Oh! And he put his toes in his mouth for the first time. Well, they would have been his toes if his shoes weren't on. I don't have a picture of it though. Here are just some shots from the weekend.

His cousins love lying in bed with him:


Jeff and Isabelle:

Isabelle and Maya:

Carson:




4 comments:

noelle said...

what a yummy little guy!

My "baby" is an 18 month old climber. I miss those toothless little grins!

Marathon Someday said...

Ah yes, the chest cold. Raiya suffered with this for almost 7-8 weeks - ugh!

The humidifier helps, for sure. I put a few drop of eucalyptus oil in the humidifier as well. I also elevated her head (just with a folded up blanket) to help her breathe.

The saline drops and nasal aspirator only help if he has congestion in his nose...for chest congestion, you can also rub a little bit of olive oil (it produces a bit of warmth, which is soothing) on his chest.

Otherwise, you just gotta wait it out. I'm really sorry, I know how much it sucks to see them so little and helpless. It was awful watching R go through it...but C will get over it! Soon.

I hope you're both better in a jiffy!

Marathon Someday said...

Oh yeah - and for chapped lips and the areas on his body, you can try breastmilk. It works wonders.

Christy said...

Thanks for the tips!!! I have eucalyptus oil so I'm going to try it :)

Breastmilk on the chapped skin? Ohhhh I'm trying it at his next feed!