Tuesday, August 29, 2006

25 weeks today....

Last night Jeff finished one of the book cases and it looks fantastic (thanks J, you're the best!). We're using an oil based paint so I can't paint, I just supervise :) We've also decided we are going to hire someone to paint the stairwell, spare bedroom & second bathroom. We want to get it done before the baby comes, and so the only way I see it getting done is to hire someone. I can't wait!

I have an appt with the neurologist tomorrow morning to figure out why I'm getting this horrendous headaches. Of course, they have subsided since the first trimester but I've still gotten quite a few. I thought the appt was Thursday, but it's tomorrow, good thing I checked last night. My memory has been failing quite a bit these days so I'm happy to have remembered.

I had a big long talk with my compensatory advisor regarding maternity leave and she gave me some good tips. The best? Exhaust my sick leave and personal days the days leading up to my due date and only start actual maternity leave the day the baby is born. You have to go back to work (well, you can no longer receive EI) exactly 52 weeks from the day the baby is born. So if I were to leave Dec 1st (which I was planning on) then EI would be cut off Dec 1st. But if I use my sick leave (I have about 12 days) and some personal days, family related days etc, I can take up to 4 weeks off before the baby is due without going on maternity leave. I really want to work as long as I possibly can, I don't see myself leaving at all before Dec 1, but I've also never been 9 months pregnant before so my mind may change. I must say, I'm pretty happy I got into the gov't before we decided to get pregnant, we could have easily survived on EI only but the top up will be really nice to sack away for a rainy day. *mental note - call John, our financial planner*

Good god, good thing I don't live in the States or else I would have already gone broke from shopping at Pottery Barn Kids - they have THE most adorable stuff for a nursery. I've set myself a limit that I won't go over for this nursery, and so much stuff we are getting second hand so I do have a little bit of room to play with. But I have to keep reminding myself, it's a NURSERY. The baby will grow out of it in 2 years time, so don't spend millions of dollars. It's just that baby stuff is so darn cute.

The quilt I want is on this page

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com/index.cfm?cid=romnurtwk&area=rms&age=

and I want to stencil "twinkle twinkle little star" like they have on the wall. Those are teh colours of my room though - yellow, blue and green.

I won't go overboard, I won't go overboard. If I say it enough times, maybe it will come true.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I know what you mean. I am just waiting to get in permanently, then we can talk babie :)

Try ebay for that quilt!

Christy said...

I tried, it's a no-go. My mom has offered to buy it for us as a shower present, my best friend's mom lives in the States and is coming down in October so I think I'm going to ask her to pick it up for me!