Saturday, April 21, 2007

I thought...

That moms were supposed to support each other? I'm a pretty easy going mom and I'll try lots of different things with Carson, I'm always open to suggestions and advice from other mom's, what worked for them and what didn't. My two closest friends and my sister are always offering ideas and advice, especially when I talk to them about something in particular regarding Carson. And I love them for it, I don't always take their advice but I appreciate it.

Lately I've tried to help and have my advice shot back in my face. Ok, it was unsolicited advice but I was just trying to help. I guess I'm just going to answer - uh huh from now on, listen to what they say and just keep my mouth shut. I'm always just trying to help, I'm not trying to come across as "I know it all so do it this way", I'm honestly offering advice from one new mother to another. But, I think I've learned my lesson so I'm zipping it!

Another gorgeus day yesterday. Nadia and I set off for another strollercize morning. What an ingenius idea. There's a used children's store here in Ottawa (Boomerang) and they have a certified fitness instructor who comes out three times a week at this location (and twice a week at the other location) and goes through warm up and warm down with us and during the walk or run keeps biking by us offering encouragement and boosts up our motivation. Next week she starts with a yoga/pilates session after our walk. There are about 20-30 women (and a few men) who come out and then after the session I would say about half of the people go into the store and buy stuff! How brilliant! Nadia and I stopped in and bought a few outfits (I bought a book too), and saw lots of the other moms in there buying things. So, it's a surefire way to get mega business three times a week. Brilliant I say.

Then in the afternoon I went for another hour long walk. I think I've been tiring Carson out. The last two nights he's slept from 7pm till 6:30 am. Everyone is amazed at how well he goes down to sleep for his naps and at night. He's really a good sleeper. He just went back to bed without a peep, I'm going to jump in the shower and we'll go for a quick hour walk and then off to Carrie and Rob's for an afternoon BBQ with the whole family (minus Jeff who's having a great time in Niagra, they went clubbin' last night which makes me laugh). Tonight I'm making a yummy dinner and maybe sneaking out for a drink or two with some friends after Carson goes to bed (remember, I'm staying at my mom's).

Oh - and always remember, children learn what you teach them. If you baby them all the time and don't try new things, you'll never know how they will handle it. Give them a chance to prove you wrong and show you how resiliant they are.

4 comments:

desajair said...

Feel free to give me advice whenever! I like the fact that you're two months ahead of me so I can ask "what was Carson doing at XXX time...?"

Oh! Have fun tonight!

desajair said...

Oh and your last quote--I totally agree. And I have the most trouble following that advice! Its like I know what I should do, but I get so comfy and Kailey is comfy, so I'm scared of rocking the boat, so to speak. *sigh* There's that learning curve again... its an uphill battle fo rme!

Marathon Someday said...

I love getting advice. You're right - doesn't mean we have to take it, but it's great to hear lots of different ideas. I'm open to hearing what ANYONE has to say - to me, the more information - the better!

I'm still cold/flu-ridden, and am living vicariously through all of your long walks.:-) Walk an extra 5 minutes in honour of me and Raiya, okay?;-)

Marathon Someday said...

Speaking of advice - I need yours on sleep. Would you mind terribly sending me an e-mail or FB'ng me? I need to get Raiya into a routine - as you know, she's a TERRIBLE sleeper, and could take a few leaves out of her friend Carson's book! I'd greatly appreciate it. Just on stuff that you did to get him to stay asleep, do you stick to times, when do you feed him, routines, etc. Thanks so much!